Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Learn how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS — wirelessly or using your computer.
You can update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS wirelessly.* If you can’t see the update on your device, you can update manually using your computer.
Update your device wirelessly
If a message says that an update is available, tap Install Now. You can also follow these steps:
- Plug your device into power and connect to the Internet with Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install. If a message asks to temporarily remove apps because the software needs more space for the update, tap Continue or Cancel. Later, iOS or iPadOS will reinstall apps that it removed. If you tap Cancel, learn what to do next.
- To update now, tap Install. Or you can tap Later and choose Install Tonight or Remind Me Later. If you tap Install Tonight, just plug your device into power before you go to sleep. Your device will update automatically overnight.
- If asked, enter your passcode. If you don’t know your passcode, learn what to do.
If you see an error or need more space when updating wirelessly
If you see an error message while trying to update your device wirelessly, learn what to do. If you need more space for a wireless update, you can update using your computer or delete content manually from your device. Whether you use your computer or update wirelessly, you’ll have the same amount of free space on your device after you update.
Some software updates aren’t available wirelessly. VPN or proxy connections might prevent your device from contacting the update servers.